Film and Mind Online: The Social Dilemma
October 30, 2020, 6:45 - 10:15 PM
Join NCP as we take our Film and Mind series online!
The genre-bending “documentary" by Jeff Orlowski dives deep into how social media influences our sense of reality and the primitive anxieties that get evoked. Social media apps manipulate our brain’s psychology to keep us checking our devices and refreshing our feeds. The feeds themselves are full of content that in turn manipulates our emotions to maximize engagement and sell us things. In our discussion of the film, we will review the targeted manipulation that exploits fears, biases and vanities of even the most isolated individuals of our civilization.
*Streaming is available on Netflix.
Space is limited to 25 participants.
Registration will be open until 4:30 PM on the day of the event. We cannot take registrations after this time.
6:45 PM - 8:45 PM: Group viewing of the movie with a silent chat. We will join the Zoom meeting and press "play" simultaneously to watch the movie together. Please purchase the movie before joining the meeting. (Viewing with the group is optional. You can purchase and watch prior to this and still participate in the discussion.) No credit
8:45 PM - 10:15 PM: Discussion begins. We will hear from our discussants and explore the film together.
1.5 CE/CME credits
As a result of attending this session, participants should be able to:
- Explore the meaning of The Social Dilemma from a psychoanalytic perspective
- Analyze the clinical importance of the tension between reality, fake news, and tailored news
- Apply the concept of extimacy to discuss social media and privacy on identity development.
Target audience: Mental health professionals and open to the public interested in psychoanalytic perspectives. Open to members and the community.
Level: Every level.
1.5 CE/CME Credits
$15 with CE Credit
$7 without Credit
This is an online event. What you need to know:
- Registration is limited to 25 people.
- Register below and you will get an email with the Zoom link.
- You can join other attendees to watch the film "together" (in your own home) at 6:45 pm and even silently comment in the Zoom Meeting “chat” function, or watch it on your own beforehand.
- The official discussion will start at 8:45 pm in the Zoom Meeting room.
- We cannot provide technical support for the viewing of the movie, but will be in the Zoom meeting to help facilitate the discussion.
Where to get the movie:
"How do I get my CE/CME Credit?"
- Pre-Register below
- If you are registering for the first time you will receive a welcome email. You must follow the directions in this email to complete your registration in order to access your certificates.
- You will receive an email with an evaluation 2 days after the event
- Complete the evaluation
- Wait 2 business days
- Download your Certificate on the NCP website
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE INFORMATION FOR ALL LEARNERS: None of the planners and presenters of this CME/CE program have any relevant financial relationships to disclose.
PHYSICIANS: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the American Psychoanalytic Association and the New Center for Psychoanalysis. The American Psychoanalytic Association is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Psychoanalytic Association designates this Live Activity for the maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
PSYCHOLOGISTS: The New Center for Psychoanalysis is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. New Center for Psychoanalysis maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Full attendance is required for psychologists to receive credit; partial credit may not be awarded based on APA guidelines. For the psychologists’ records, certificates of attendance are provided at the completion of the course.
SOCIAL WORKERS, MARRIAGE and FAMILY THERAPISTS (LCSW, LMFT, ASW, IMF, LEP, LPCC, PCCI): The New Center for Psychoanalysis is a continuing education provider that has been approved by the American Psychological Association, a California Board of Behavioral Sciences recognized approval agency.
REGISTERED NURSES: The New Center for Psychoanalysis is an accredited provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (Provider #CEP1112). Registered Nurses may claim only the actual number of hours spent in the educational activity for credit.