Psychedelic Drugs: Perception and Psychodynamics
May 18, 2023, 8:00 - 10:00 PM
*** Registration will close at 4:30 PM on the day of the event. No registrations are possible after this time, no exceptions. ***
NCP Manifest Mind Series welcomes cognitive neuroscientist and philosopher of mind Link Swanson, PhD.
As a result of attending this session, participants should be able to:
- List the major concepts and phenomena in Swanson's foundational-historical understanding of psychedelic science and theory
- Summarize how the perceptual effects of psychedelics relate to their clinical mechanisms
- Explain how specific perceptual disruptions by LSD perturb ego-integrative mechanisms that determine ego boundaries
- Discuss how 21st century psychedelic science continues to echo mechanisms identified by Freud-Huxley “Filtration Theory” to conceptualize neurological effects of psychedelic medicine
- Discuss Swanson’s research into Contextual Modulation in terms of some of the unique features of psychedelic medication on the human mind
Program Coordinator: Thomas M. Brod, MD
Link Swanson, PhD, is a philosopher and cognitive scientist interested in understanding perception, hallucination, and psychedelic drugs. From a foundation of historically informed theory and phenomenology, Dr. Swanson investigates the subjective effects of psychedelic drugs using methods from psychophysics, EEG, and computational psychiatry. Dr. Swanson is pioneering the use of visual tasks to study the brain mechanisms of psychedelic drugs, which he hopes will yield knowledge about the clinical efficacy of psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy.
- This is a Zoom conference, participation for this event is online only.
- Pre-registration is required.
- 2 CE credits offered
- Signature is required for CE Credit. Zoom attendees must "sign" in and out at the beginning and end of the lecture in the Zoom meeting Chat to receive credit.
- You will receive this information by email. Contact Byrd at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
This program will not be recorded.
General registration $35 | Candidates and Students $20
Please contact Byrdb@n-c-p.org if you have trouble registering.
"How do I get my CE/CME Credit?"
- Pre-Register below
- If you are registering for the first time you will receive a welcome email. You must follow the directions in this email to complete your registration in order to access your certificates.
- "Sign" in and "sign" out during the event (by typing your full name into the chat). This is how we record your attendance at the event.
- Wait 5 business days.
- Download your Certificate on the NCP website.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE INFORMATION FOR ALL LEARNERS: None of the planners and presenters for this educational activity have relevant financial relationship(s)* to disclose with ineligible companies* whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
*Financial relationships are relevant if the educational content an individual can control is related to the business lines or products of the ineligible company.
-Updated July 2021-
PHYSICIANS: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of American Psychoanalytic Association and The New Center for Psychoanalysis. The American Psychoanalytic Association is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.”
The American Psychoanalytic Association designates this Live Activity for a maximum of 2 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
PSYCHOLOGISTS: The New Center for Psychoanalysis is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The New Center for Psychoanalysis maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Psychologists must report CE credits directly to MCEP using this document to verify attendance. Please note that a Psychologist must attend the CE program in its entirety in order to receive credit.
SOCIAL WORKERS, MARRIAGE and FAMILY THERAPISTS (LCSW, LMFT, ASW, IMF, LEP, LPCC, PCCI): The New Center for Psychoanalysis is a continuing education provider that has been approved by the American Psychological Association, a California Board of Behavioral Sciences recognized approval agency.