Andrea Celenza: Maternal Erotic Transferences and the Fate of Feminine Signifiers
March 18, 2023, 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
*** Registration will close at 4:00 PM on the day before the event. No registrations are possible after this time, no exceptions. ***
Maternal Erotic Transferences and the Fate of Feminine Signifiers
March 18, 2023
Andrea Celenza, PhD
This program is designed to address clinically relevant theorizing and its clinical applications on a variety of psychoanalytic perspectives revolving around transferences, states of being and the place of love in the analytic setting.
The day’s program will be divided into two parts. The morning program will involve a clinically based presentation of maternal erotic transferences with verbatim clinical process. Bringing her special gift for freshly communicating clinical and theoretical perspectives, Dr. Celenza will clarify “maternal eroticism,” differences in related concepts, and how femininity and femaleness are internalized at different levels.
The afternoon program will involve a selection of Andrea Celenza’s evocative musings on transference, love and being. A rich audience discussion is invited as we think through each brief reading.
There will be an hour and 15 minute lunch and two 15-minute breaks.
As a result of attending this session, participants should be able to:
- Explain how maternal transferences are essentially erotic.
- Describe at least two approaches to the treatment of maternal erotic transferences.
- Discuss the false dichotomization of transferences as real or unreal.
- Explain what is meant by the analyst as objectified other;
- Explain what is meant by the analyst as subjective other and discuss its clinical importance;
- List two examples of transitional perverse scenarios;
- Explain how the embodiment of perverse desires links to empathic resonance in the countertransference;
- Compare the clinical terms of reverie, countertransference, and retranscription, and explain the clinical relevance of those distinctions.
Program Coordinator: Thomas M. Brod, MD
Andrea Celenza, PhD, is a highly sought-out psychoanalytic teacher for her ability to illuminate sexual issues in psychodynamic psychotherapy. She has explored erotic transferences and countertransferences as well as analytic love in multiple articles and books on these subjects. Dr. Celenza has been the recipient of several awards, including the Karl A. Menninger Memorial Award, the Felix & Helena Deutsch Prize, and the Symonds Prize. Her book, Erotic Revelations: Clinical Applications and Perverse Scenarios, was published by Routledge. Her writings have been translated into Italian, Spanish, Korean, Russian and Farsi. Her latest book, Transference, Love, and Being: Essential Essays from the Field (Routledge), is now available. She is in private practice in Lexington, Massachusetts.
- This is a hybrid conference. It will be held over Zoom Conferencing and in person at NCP.
- Pre-registration is required. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis because of limited capacity.
- In-person registration is capped at 40 people.
- 5.25 CE credits offered
- Signature is required for CE Credit. Zoom attendees must "sign" in and out at the beginning and end of the lecture in the Zoom meeting Chat to receive credit.
- You will receive this information by email. Contact Byrd at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Due to the confidentiality of material presented, this program will NOT be recorded.
General registration (in person or on Zoom) $195 | Candidates and Students (in person or on Zoom) $95
Please contact Byrdb@n-c-p.org if you have trouble registering.
"How do I get my CE/CME Credit?"
- Pre-Register below
- If you are registering for the first time you will receive a welcome email. You must follow the directions in this email to complete your registration in order to access your certificates.
- "Sign" in and "sign" out during the event (by typing your full name into the chat). This is how we record your attendance at the event.
- Wait 5 business days.
- Download your Certificate on the NCP website.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE INFORMATION FOR ALL LEARNERS: None of the planners and presenters for this educational activity have relevant financial relationship(s)* to disclose with ineligible companies* whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
*Financial relationships are relevant if the educational content an individual can control is related to the business lines or products of the ineligible company.
-Updated July 2021-
PHYSICIANS: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of American Psychoanalytic Association and The New Center for Psychoanalysis. The American Psychoanalytic Association is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.”
The American Psychoanalytic Association designates this Live Activity for a maximum of 5.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
PSYCHOLOGISTS: The New Center for Psychoanalysis is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The New Center for Psychoanalysis maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Psychologists must report CE credits directly to MCEP using this document to verify attendance. Please note that a Psychologist must attend the CE program in its entirety in order to receive credit.
SOCIAL WORKERS, MARRIAGE and FAMILY THERAPISTS (LCSW, LMFT, ASW, IMF, LEP, LPCC, PCCI): The New Center for Psychoanalysis is a continuing education provider that has been approved by the American Psychological Association, a California Board of Behavioral Sciences recognized approval agency.