Treating Pathological Narcissism with Transference-Focused Psychotherapy (TFP)
January 21, 2023, 9:00 AM - 5:15 PM
*** Registration will close at 5:00 PM on the day prior to the event. No registrations are possible after this time, no exceptions. ***
All times listed are in Pacific Time (PT) unless otherwise noted.
This meeting will take place in person and online via Zoom. Once you complete the registration you will receive an email with more information.
NCP and TFP New York present a one-day training in TFP for pathological narcissism:
TFP is a manualized, evidence-based psychoanalytic therapy for patients with borderline personality disorder (BPD) that has recently been adapted for patients with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) and pathological narcissism (PN).
TFP is based on a contemporary object relations model of psychological functioning that incorporates findings from attachment and neurocognitive research. The treatment focuses on internalized representations of self and other that organize the patient’s interpersonal experience.
Take your first step toward TFP certification with NCP and Diana Diamond, PhD.
8:00 – 9:00 | Check In
9:00 – 10:15 | Introduction to TFP for BPD and NPD and overview of contemporary object relations model with case examples
10:15– 10:30 | Coffee Break
10:30 – Noon | Overview of TFP for PN and NPD
Early Phases of Treatment: Engaging the grandiose self and addressing narcissistic defenses, transferences and resistances; the impact of attachment status. Case examples, role plays and video.
12:00 – 1:00 | Lunch Break (Lunch will be provided)
1:00 – 2:30 | Mid to Late Treatment Phases: Resolution of the grandiose self; mourning and termination; Case examples, role plays and video
2:30 – 2:45 | Coffee Break
2:45 – 4:30 | Malignant Narcissism: theory and treatment with case example
4:30-5:15 | Questions and Discussion
As a result of attending this session, participants should be able to:
• Summarize basic introductory theory and concepts of TFP for BPD and NPD
• Explain basic object relations models
• Apply basic assessment and diagnosis of pathological narcissism and NPD
• Describe how to employ the TFP Treatment Contract
• Apply the TFP Interpretative Process
• Identify and work with dyads and dominant object relations
• Explain and work through affect storms
• Assess narcissistic resistances in the transference
• Describe malignant narcissism
Program Coordinator: Joshua C. Richmond, MPW
Diana Diamond, PhD, is a clinical psychologist and psychoanalyst who specializes in theory, research, and treatment of borderline and narcissistic personality disorders. She is Professor Emerita in the Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology at the City University of New York and Senior Fellow at the Personality Disorders Institute at New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical College. She is also on the faculty of the New York Psychoanalytic Society and Institute, the NYU Postdoctoral Program in Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis, and the New School for Social Research. She is in private practice of psychoanalytic psychotherapy and psychoanalysis in New York City and Sag Harbor, NY.
Target Audience: This program is directed to mental health providers, Psychiatrists, Psychoanalysts, Social Workers, Counselors, Psychologists, MFTS, Research Psychoanalysts, and the like.
CE/CME credits: 6.75 CE/CME credits (Certificates are issued through the NCP website 5 business days after the event)
TFP Certification: Transference Focused Psychotherapy (TFP) has their own certification process to become a TFP Therapist. Participants will receive a certificate documenting their participation in a one-day TFP workshop, which can be applied to the sequence of training seminars required for TFP certification
"How do I get my CE/CME Credit?"
- Pre-Register below
- If you are registering for the first time you will receive a welcome email. You must follow the directions in this email to complete your registration in order to access your certificates.
- Sign in and sign out during the event (by typing your full name into the chat). This is how we record your attendance at the event.
- Wait 3 business days
- Download your Certificate on the NCP website
- Pre-registration is required and closes at 5 pm on the day before the event.
- This is lecture is being presented in person and online via Zoom. You will receive the Zoom meeting link after you complete registration if registered for Zoom.
- You will receive confirmation and details by email. Contact Byrd at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
- Signature is required for CE Credit. Zoom attendees must "sign" in and out at the beginning and end of the lecture in the Zoom meeting Chat to receive credit.
- 6.75 CE credits are offered for this date.
Registration: $180 in person or Zoom; Clinical Associates and students $90 in person or Zoom
Please contact email@example.com if you have trouble registering.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE INFORMATION FOR ALL LEARNERS: None of the planners and presenters for this educational activity have relevant financial relationship(s)* to disclose with ineligible companies* whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
*Financial relationships are relevant if the educational content an individual can control is related to the business lines or products of the ineligible company.
-Updated July 2021-
PHYSICIANS: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of American Psychoanalytic Association and The New Center for Psychoanalysis. The American Psychoanalytic Association is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.”
The American Psychoanalytic Association designates this Live Activity for a maximum of 6.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
PSYCHOLOGISTS: The New Center for Psychoanalysis is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The New Center for Psychoanalysis maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Psychologists must report CE credits directly to MCEP using this document to verify attendance. Please note that a Psychologist must attend the CE program in its entirety in order to receive credit.
SOCIAL WORKERS, MARRIAGE and FAMILY THERAPISTS (LCSW, LMFT, ASW, IMF, LEP, LPCC, PCCI): The New Center for Psychoanalysis is a continuing education provider that has been approved by the American Psychological Association, a California Board of Behavioral Sciences recognized approval agency.