The Art of Psychosomatics: The Tipping Point Between the Body and the Emotions
June 16, 2022, 7:30 - 9:30 PM
This meeting will take place online via Zoom. Once you register, you will receive an email more information.
*** Registration will close at 4:00 PM on the day of the event. No registrations are possible after this time, no exceptions.
All times listed are in Pacific Time (PST) unless otherwise noted
The Art of Psychosomatics
Expert Child Analyst Weekend
June 16-18, 2022
Christine Anzieu-Premmereur, MD, PhD
Essential depression, impoverished emotional life and limited capacity for free association are frequent accompaniments for patients presenting with somatic disorders. Under particular conditions, overwhelming unbearable emotions may move into expression by way of the body and communicate substantial emotional suffering.
The Tipping Point Between the Body and the Emotions:
A case study of an adult patient’s journey from extreme action
to somatic eruption to emotions
A young man with behavior changes, rashes, and severe colitis presented with emotional withdrawal. Affect suppression is a defense mechanism that seeks to erase feelings and emotions. If the capacity for representation has not fully developed, the whole of psychic functioning can be damaged with resulting somatic symptoms. Having a theoretical framework that allows for interpreting the lack of representation opens the way to specific interventions. From this perspective, the role of the psychoanalyst is to provide the patient with structure and containment as well as the capacity for symbolization.
As a result of attending this session, participants should be able to:
- Explain how essential depression can lead to somatic eruption
- Describe the connection between specific unconscious issues linked to early trauma and psychosomatic symptoms
- Summarize technical approaches to deepen the therapeutic process with an adult patient who initially lacks the capacity for free association
Presenter and Moderator
Presenter: Christine Anzieu-Premmereur, MD, PhD, is a French child and adult psychiatrist and psychoanalyst trained in Paris at Institut de Psychanalyse de Paris. In New York City since 2000, she is Assistant Clinical Professor in psychiatry at Columbia University and on the faculty at the Columbia Psychoanalytic Center where she is Director of the Parent-Infant Psychotherapy Program. A member at the New York Psychoanalytic Institute, she chairs the discussion group on Parent-Infant Programs at the American Psychoanalytic Association, and she is the chair of the IPA Committee for Child and Adolescent Psychoanalysis. She co-edited the 2017 book “A Psychoanalytic Exploration of the Body in Today’s World: On the Body”.
Moderator: Susan Donner, MD, is a child, adolescent, and adult psychiatrist and psychoanalyst in private practice in Woodland Hills, CA and an Associate Clinical Professor in Adult and Child Psychiatry at UCLA Geffen School of Medicine. She is a Training and Child, Adolescent and Adult Supervising Analyst, Chair of Child and Adolescent Psychoanalytic Training, and Director of the NCP 0-21 Child and Adolescent Clinic at the New Center for Psychoanalysis in Los Angeles.
- This is an online conference. Read registration selections carefully.
- You must register separately for each event date of this multi-date conference.
- Pre-registration is required. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis because of limited capacity.
- 2 CE credits offered for this date.
- Attendees must "sign" in and out at the beginning and end of the lecture to receive credit. Instruction and info will be provided after you register. You will receive this information by email. Contact Tina Walters at email@example.com if you have questions.
- This conference will be recorded. All registered attendees will receive a link to the recording so they may review. Only live attendance receives credit.
- General Registration: $50
- Student Registration: $25
Please contact Tinaw@n-c-p.org if you have trouble registering.
"How do I get my CE/CME Credit?"
- Pre-Register below
- If you are registering for the first time you will receive a welcome email. You must follow the directions in this email to complete your registration in order to access your certificates.
- "Sign" in and "sign" out during the event (by typing your full name into the chat). This is how we record your attendance at the event.
- Wait 5 business days.
- Download your Certificate on the NCP website.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE INFORMATION FOR ALL LEARNERS: None of the planners and presenters for this educational activity have relevant financial relationship(s)* to disclose with ineligible companies* whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
*Financial relationships are relevant if the educational content an individual can control is related to the business lines or products of the ineligible company.
-Updated July 2021-
PHYSICIANS: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of American Psychoanalytic Association and The New Center for Psychoanalysis. The American Psychoanalytic Association is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.”
The American Psychoanalytic Association designates this Live Activity for a maximum of 2 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
PSYCHOLOGISTS: The New Center for Psychoanalysis is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The New Center for Psychoanalysis maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Psychologists must report CE credits directly to MCEP using this document to verify attendance. Please note that a Psychologist must attend the CE program in its entirety in order to receive credit.
SOCIAL WORKERS, MARRIAGE and FAMILY THERAPISTS (LCSW, LMFT, ASW, IMF, LEP, LPCC, PCCI): The New Center for Psychoanalysis is a continuing education provider that has been approved by the American Psychological Association, a California Board of Behavioral Sciences recognized approval agency.