Film and Mind Online: C’mon, C’mon
April 21, 2023, 8:30 - 10:00 PM
Join NCP's Film and Mind series online!
C'mon, C’mon (2021, 108 minutes) is an emotionally rich film from writer-director Mike Mills, starring Joaquin Phoenix and Woody Norman. One of the salient and most interesting aspects for psychoanalysts about the film, which derives most of its power from its portrayal of intimacy developing between the characters, and particularly a man and a boy, is that the narrative setup insulates the characters from sex and sexual temptation. Mills carefully and subtly delineates the incest barriers and builds relationships on the repressive force of (sexual) Latency. The nine-year-old child at the center of the film uses “Adult” language as an adult might, but is subjectively unpulled by the adult magnetic power of “sex.”
*Available on Amazon Prime and others. See link below.
Registration will be open until 4:30 PM on the day of the event. We cannot take registrations after this time.
*** All times listed are Pacific Time (PT) ***
Discussion (on Zoom): 8:30 PM - 10:00 PM - We will hear from our discussants and explore the film together.
We will not watch the film together prior to the discussion. Participants should watch the film beforehand or begin screening on their own before 6:15 pm PT.
1.5 CE/CME credits
As a result of attending this session, participants should be able to:
- Explain emotional honesty and discuss your opinion on how early should it be offered to children
- Using the film as a springboard, discuss forms of ego strengthening that can be offered to children who seem to be fated (by genetic predisposition) to develop Bipolar I disorder
- Analyzing this film as its own form of dream-like creation (mise-en-scene), describe how this non-narrative, non-verbal function is used by writer-director Mills to demonstrate the adaptative capacity of human youth in the face of ceaseless media-spread klaxon alarms
- Describe Latency as described by Freud in The Three Essays on Sexuality (1905) and explain what those observations offer to the understanding of C’Mon, C’Mon
Bettina Soestwohner, PhD, PsyD, is a Research Psychoanalyst with a private practice in L.A. She holds a Doctorate in Comparative Literature from UC Irvine and has taught courses in the fields of literature and languages, film, psychology, and psychoanalysis. She is a Senior Faculty member of New Center of Psychoanalysis; a member of the Freudian School of Quebec (EFQ); responsible for the activities of the California Circle of the Quebec School; and a member of the IFLF (International Forums of the Lacanian Field).
Deborah Lynn, MD, is a child and adolescent psychiatrist/general psychiatrist, and will graduate from the Psychoanalytic Training Program this year at the New Center for Psychoanalysis. She is in private practice in Westwood as well as a member of the clinical faculty at UCLA, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. She is a consultant at City of Hope in pediatric oncology. She is a lecturer at Reiss-Davis Child Development Center and she teaches in NCP’s Child and Adolescent Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Program.
Thomas M. Brod, MD. Dr. Brod coordinates the NCP Film & Mind Program with Apurva Shah, MD.
Target audience: Mental health professionals and open to the public interested in psychoanalytic perspectives. Open to members and the community.
Level: Every level.
1.5 CE/CME Credits
$15 with CE Credit
$7 without Credit
This is an online event. What you need to know:
- Register below and you will get an email with the Zoom link. The Zoom link will also be sent on the day of the event after 4:30 PM.
- The discussion will start at 8:30 pm in the Zoom Meeting room. Participants should watch the film on their own before joining.
- We cannot provide technical support for the viewing of the movie, but will be in the Zoom meeting to help facilitate the discussion.
Where to get the movie: Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Apple TV and more (click for options)
"How do I get my CE/CME Credit?"
- Pre-Register below
- If you are registering for the first time you will receive a welcome email. You must follow the directions in this email to complete your registration in order to access your certificates.
- Sign in and sign out during the event (by typing your full name into the chat). This is how we record your attendance at the event.
- Wait 5 business days
- Download your Certificate on the NCP website
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE INFORMATION FOR ALL LEARNERS: None of the planners and presenters for this educational activity have relevant financial relationship(s)* to disclose with ineligible companies* whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
*Financial relationships are relevant if the educational content an individual can control is related to the business lines or products of the ineligible company.
-Updated July 2021-
PHYSICIANS: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of American Psychoanalytic Association and The New Center for Psychoanalysis. The American Psychoanalytic Association is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.”
The American Psychoanalytic Association designates this Live Activity for a maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
PSYCHOLOGISTS: The New Center for Psychoanalysis is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The New Center for Psychoanalysis maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Psychologists must report CE credits directly to MCEP using this document to verify attendance. Please note that a Psychologist must attend the CE program in its entirety in order to receive credit.
SOCIAL WORKERS, MARRIAGE and FAMILY THERAPISTS (LCSW, LMFT, ASW, IMF, LEP, LPCC, PCCI): The New Center for Psychoanalysis is a continuing education provider that has been approved by the American Psychological Association, a California Board of Behavioral Sciences recognized approval agency