Bion's Basics and Beyond
October 8, 2022, 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
*** Registration will close at 4:00 PM on the day prior to the event. No registrations are possible after this time, no exceptions. ***
All times listed are in Pacific Time (PT) unless otherwise noted.
This meeting will take place online via Zoom. Once you register, you will receive an email with more information.
New Center for Psychoanalysis and the Psychoanalytic Center of California proudly present:
Bion's Basics and Beyond
Dr. Annie Reiner presents her paper: “What Language is the Patient Speaking?: Limitations of Language in the Psychic Realm” and will give the clinical presentation “Clinical Use of the Selected Fact.”
Dr. Reiner will describe some of Bion’s fundamental ideas, including the challenges of using verbal language to communicate primitive, often non-verbal states of mind to the patient. Bion spoke frequently in Los Angeles about the challenge of using everyday language, created for the physical world of the senses, but which psychoanalysts must adapt and apply to the metaphysical world of the mind. As knowledge of primitive mental states increases, so does this challenge of finding ways to speak to deeper levels of the self.
Dr. Reiner examines the ways psychoanalysts communicate with their patients as well as their colleagues. She will discuss these ideas with reference to some of Bion’s clinical theories, including the “selected fact,” suspension of memory and desire, and his concept of "O," so that participants can apply these ideas to creating interpretations that can more effectively be heard and used by the patient. Dr. Reiner uses detailed clinical examples to illustrate these ideas. She will also present a case to be discussed by the group, to help further understanding of the selected fact.
9.30 – 10:30 am: Paper presentation: "What Language is the Patient Speaking?: Limitations of Language in the Psychic Realm"
10:30 – 11:15 am: Q & A and discussion
11:15 – 11:30 am: Break
11:30- 12 pm: Clinical presentation: Clinical Use of the Selected Fact
12:00 - 12:30 pm: Q & A and discussion of the case
As a result of attending this session, participants should be able to:
- Apply Bion's idea of the "selected fact" to clinical work
- Describe Bion's ideas about the challenge of language in communicating early states of mind to the patient
- Explain how Bion's specific idea of the "mind" relates to Winnicott's idea of the True and False Self
- Describe ways in which early emotional trauma obstructs the development of the mind and the capacity to think
Target Audience: psychoanalysts and psychodynamic therapists
CE/CME credits: 2.75 (Certificates are issued through the NCP website and can be downloaded 5 business days after the event.)
Annie Reiner, PhD, PsyD, LCSW, is currently a member, faculty member, and training analyst at The Psychoanalytic Center of California (PCC) and a fellow of the International Psychoanalytic Association (IPA). Her work is influenced by the ideas of Wilfred Bion, with whom she studied in the mid-1970s. She has written three psychoanalytic books and many articles about Wilfred Bion, the most recent being her book Bion's Theories of Mind: A Contemporary Introduction. She lectures extensively about psychoanalysis throughout the world, and Dr. James Grotstein ranked her "...high among Bion scholars." In addition to her work and writings as a psychoanalyst, Dr. Reiner is an accomplished playwright, poet, and painter. She maintains a private practice in Beverly Hills.
- Pre-registration is required and closes at 4 pm on the day before the event.
- This is lecture is being presented online via Zoom. You will receive the Zoom meeting link after you complete registration.
- You will receive this information by email. Contact Tina Walters at email@example.com if you have questions.
- Attendees must "sign" in and out at the beginning and end of the lecture in the Zoom meeting Chat to receive credit.
- 2.75 CE credits are offered for this date.
- This conference will be recorded. All registered attendees will receive a link to the recording so they may review. Only live attendance receives credit.
With Credit Registration: $90 general admission | $25 candidates and students | Candidates and students who don't need CE/CME credit can attend for free.
Please contact Tinaw@n-c-p.org if you have trouble registering.
"How do I get my CE/CME Credit?"
- Pre-Register below
- If you are registering for the first time you will receive a welcome email. You must follow the directions in this email to complete your registration in order to access your certificates.
- "Sign" in and "sign" out during the event (by typing your full name into the chat). This is how we record your attendance at the event.
- Wait 5 business days.
- Download your Certificate on the NCP website.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE INFORMATION FOR ALL LEARNERS: None of the planners and presenters for this educational activity have relevant financial relationship(s)* to disclose with ineligible companies* whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
*Financial relationships are relevant if the educational content an individual can control is related to the business lines or products of the ineligible company.
-Updated July 2021-
PHYSICIANS: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of American Psychoanalytic Association and The New Center for Psychoanalysis. The American Psychoanalytic Association is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.”
The American Psychoanalytic Association designates this Live Activity for a maximum of 2.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
PSYCHOLOGISTS: The New Center for Psychoanalysis is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The New Center for Psychoanalysis maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Psychologists must report CE credits directly to MCEP using this document to verify attendance. Please note that a Psychologist must attend the CE program in its entirety in order to receive credit.
SOCIAL WORKERS, MARRIAGE and FAMILY THERAPISTS (LCSW, LMFT, ASW, IMF, LEP, LPCC, PCCI): The New Center for Psychoanalysis is a continuing education provider that has been approved by the American Psychological Association, a California Board of Behavioral Sciences recognized approval agency.